Driving License in Delhi: Learning to drive brings many people interesting experiences, especially for those who are passionate about driving. But as an Indian citizen, you need to have a driver’s license to be able to operate your motor vehicle.
A driver’s license is a mandatory document issued by the Indian government to control their vehicles on the roads freely.
Driving License in Delhi
Over the years, in the face of the increase in the number of accidents caused by unlicensed drivers, the Delhi government has introduced severe punishments and sanctions against drivers of motor vehicles without a proper driving license. Also, you cannot claim accident insurance if you drive without a valid driving license. So, to help you get your driver’s license easily, here is a guide to getting a driving license in Delhi.
Types of Driving License in Delhi
A driving license is issued in Delhi on the basis of the following vehicle types:
- Motorcycle without gearbox: this category includes all types of motor vehicles such as motorcycles and scooters
- Motorcycle with gearbox: this category includes all types of vehicles, other motorized vehicles
- Light motor vehicles (NT): this category includes sedans, sedans, etc.
- Invalid transport
- Trucks, vans, buses, and other transport vehicles fall within this group.
- Road roller
- The motor vehicle of special description
Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining a Driving License in Delhi
To apply for a driving license in Delhi, the applicant will need to meet the eligibility criteria below.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants for a DL driving license must first obtain a learner’s license.
- The applicant must apply for a driver’s license within 30 days and within 180 days of issuing the learner’s license.
- The applicant should be aware of all traffic rules and regulations.
Documents Needed to Get a Driving License in Delhi
To apply for a driving license in Delhi, here is a list of documents you will need:
- Form no 4, i.e., Driver’s License Application Form
- Passport Photo
- Application Fee Rs. 400
- Driver’s license forms 5, 14, and 15 for means of transport
Address Proof: Any one of the below documents
- Certified copy of the Voter’s List
- A six-month-old LIC policy bond (This has to be submitted along with the copy of the latest receipt of the policy)
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
Age Proof: Any one of the below documents
- Birth certificate
- Educational certificate
- A certificate issued by your employer if you work for the state/central government or local authority.
- Attested copy of the passport
How to apply for a Driving License in Delhi?
With the advancement of technology, obtaining a driving license in Delhi has become a simple task. In Delhi, you can apply for a driver’s license via both offline and online methods.
How to apply for a driving license online in Delhi?
Following are the steps you have to follow while applying online for Driving License in Delhi:
- Visit the Delhi government transportation website. Complete the application form and submit all relevant documents online. You will then receive a number of applications that you will need to submit at the test time. You can reserve your seat for the driving test online and also pay the registration fee online.
- Then you will need to go to the RTO, where you saved the DL. Your driving test will take place in the presence of a car examiner who will decide whether or not you will obtain a license. You will need to bring your motor vehicle for inspection. If you pass the test, your biometric data will be saved and photographed. Your driver’s license will be mailed to your registered address. Very few RTOs in Delhi also allow you to get your driver’s license the same day you take the test.